Subject: Re: postgresql and cygwin
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Víctor Rafael Rivarola Soerensen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 11:02:03 -0400

MrVic,

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 09:32:08AM, Víctor Rafael Rivarola Soerensen wrote:
> I need to run a database on a windows machine, and I have some question
> about this.

FYI, the [email-masked] mailing list is probably a more
appropriate list than this one for these types of questions.

> First, is postgresql available on Win95/98 machines?  (I mean for the
> server, not the client.)

Yes, PostgreSQL (i.e., all of it) runs wherever Cygwin runs.

> Second, if a NT machine is required, which
> distribution would you recommend? NT4 or Win2k.  What are the
> advantajes/disadvantajes of each solution?

I would only recommend NT 4.0 or 2000 for production use.  Although,
I have never run PostgreSQL under 9x/Me seriously (and I no longer
have one of these machines available), others have reported "issues"
on these platforms.  Please search the pgsql-cygwin archives for the
details, if interested.

Jason

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/