Subject: Re: output allowed in .bashrc and .tcshrc (Was: Virus Found)
From: Mark Gordon <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:51:09 +0100

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:44:32 +0100, David Starks-Browning
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>On Tuesday 11 Sep 01, Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> ... If your login shell is bash and bash has been started by
>> rshd/sshd, it executes ~/.bashrc.  So the rule is, no output in
>> ~/.bashrc.
>> 
>> And, IIRC, the same rule applies for tcsh and ~/.cshrc.
>
>Just to be precise and complete...
>
>That's almost correct.  Your *are* allowed to generate output in
>.bashrc (and in .cshrc for tcsh) for *interactive* shells only.  The
>usual way to test is to check for the existence of a prompt.  ($PS1 in
>bash, $prompt in tcsh.)  If no prompt is defined, you must not
>generate *any* output.

On the SCO box I have here with tcsh the same applies to
/etc/csh.cshrc (I just tested this).

You can (on this system at least) get away with calling stty on
non-interactive shells, although it does generate an error so one
probably should not.

Unfortunately on this SCO box (which I did not set up) it was doing
ALL of the things it should not!
-- 
Mark Gordon - To email me replace spamtrap with mark.gordon
	A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered desk drawer.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/