Subject: Re: Virus Found
From: Nick Drage <[email-masked]>
To: Jonathon Merz <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 23:22:08 +0100

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:50:26PM -0500, Jonathon Merz wrote:
> That is actually a good idea IMHO.  (Though you may be right that
> "flashing" it is not the way to go :) Putting a message about turning off
> virus scanners early in the install (maybe something like "Turn off your
> virus scanner during this installation, see the FAQ for more info.").

Do you really want to encourage users to disable virus programs before
installing software?  That is *very* bad practice.

> I certainly can't speak for everyone, I usually don't read readme files
> until _after_ I install software unless there is something that tells me
> it would really be in my interest to do so beforehand.

You really should get in to the habit of reading them beforehand, that way
you get to see what you would have broken rather than what you just broke.

-- 
irreversibility allotter rehabilitate 

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/