Subject: Re: Make a package never update
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: "Matthew O. Persico" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 21:07:56 -0400

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 09:10:12PM -0400, Matthew O. Persico wrote:
>"Gerrit P. Haase" wrote:
>> 
>> Matthew O. Persico schrieb am 2001-09-09, 19:07:
>> 
>> >I do not want perl updated on my cygwin - I prefer to hack at it from a
>> >perl built under windows (don't ask). If I never want the perl under
>> >cygwin updated, is it sufficient to remove it from cygwin using
>> >setup.exe? Will that prevent future updates from ever being shown to me?
>> 
>> Setup.exe will offer you every package that is not installed at your
>> system, always the latest available version.
>> If you have no perl installed, it will be offered and you will have to
>> unselect it everytime.
>> 
>
>Hmm. Sounds like it's time for a patch - adding "Never" to the list of
>possibilities for a package update. Now I have to find the setup.exe
>code.

It's in cvs in the "cinstall" directory.  The cvs sources are mentioned
in the "Sources in CVS" link on the cygwin web page.

Adding a never category should be doable.  You could just add something
pertinent to /etc/setup/installed.db to record the fact that you don't
ever want to install a given package.

I think that this would be a nice addition.

Good luck.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/