Subject: Re: Setup.exe = ARRRGHGHGH @#$##@ stuborn program
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 08:43:58 +0200

Joe (theWordy) Philbrook schrieb am 2001-09-05, 20:13:

>So yesterday I downloaded cygwin's setup.exe [having nearly a gig of
>room on my E: drive I elected to download the whole thing.]
>
>Aggravation number 1)
>there didn't seam to be any way to select/deselect packages with the
>keyboard and after all that clicking with a mouse my hand starts going
>numb... first mirror I tried couldn't download, so I tried another and
>had to select them all again [sigh]

Per default, every package that is detected as NOT installed will be
loaded down (automagically). You need only to 'x' the checkboxes, if 
you like to retrieve the sources, too. I always thought that this is
obvious?

>Aggravation number 2)
>But since the download only moves about 2 to 3 K per sec [is normal?]
>my hand had plenty of time to recover...

No, my mirror is pretty fast.
It depends on your mirror and how fast it is.

>Then I simply had to go to bed, I let the download continue, it was
>still downloading at 4am this morning when I had to get up to answer a
>call of nature. But when I got up at 6am it had stalled about 3/4 of the
>way through. Oh well I thought, I'll just finnish downloading tonight, I
>thought.
>
>Aggravation number 3) [the main problem]
>Unfortunately it keeps on insisting on starting over with autoconfig and
>continuing on down the original download list for which I'm quite happy
>with the tar.gz files with yesterdays date. 
>
>But I can't seam to find any way to convince setup.exe to only download
>the packages I select in the current session, and frankly I don't have
>the time to simply let it download the whole thing again...

I one package (source, binary or both) once was downloaded, it will
not be downloaded again. It shows up in the setup window only if it is 
not yet installed, but gets not downloaded again.

>What do I have to do to get setup.exe to stop using the old download
>list????

Install the whole thing?

Gerrit

-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/