Subject: Re: Mobile install
From: Dario Alcocer <[email-masked]>
To: "Alex Malinovich" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 02:30:23 -0700

>>>>> "Alex" == Alex Malinovich <[email-masked]> writes:

    Alex> I'm trying to figure out a way to install Cygwin onto a Zip
    Alex> disk so that it is completely INDEPENDENT of the OS. That
    Alex> is, no need to register DLL's, etc.
          <snip>
    Alex> The idea is to go up to any lab computer, pop in the zip
    Alex> disk, and start working in Cygwin.
          <snip>
    Alex> I'm guessing that I can just put cygwin1.dll in the cygwin
    Alex> root. Anything else I need to be aware of.

The main issue is that the mount(1) command uses the registry to store
information regarding mount points.  If you're willing to setup the
mount points each time by hand, then yes, you should be able to have a
mobile installation that works.

One thing you could try is to use a batch file that's present on the
Zip disk that would set up the mounts for you before running a Cygwin
bash(1) shell.  In fact, you could take a modified version of
cygwin.bat and add calls to mount to set up up your mount points.  It
should work.

-- 
Dario Alcocer -- Sr. Software Developer, Helix Digital Inc.
[email-masked] -- http://www.helixdigital.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/