Subject: teTeX mktexlsr problem
From: "Robert A McDougall" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:56:57 EST

mktexlsr misbehaves under Cygwin when $CYGWIN is unset or of zero length.

Typical symptoms are that the web2c filename databases don't get
made, and TeX, LaTeX etc. can't find their "fmt" files.

The error is in the test mktexlsr uses to decide
whether to use Un*x- or W*nd*ws-style path separators:

if test -z "$COMSPEC" && test -z "$ComSpec" || test -n "$CYGWIN"; then
  SEP=':'
else
  SEP=';'
fi

This is wrong because it's possible (and reasonable) to use
Cygwin without setting the $CYGWIN variable.  Better is:

if test -z "$COMSPEC" && test -z "$ComSpec" || test "x$OSTYPE" = "xcygwin"; then
  SEP=':'
else
  SEP=';'
fi

From the mail archive, it seems likely that this was William
D. Kirby's problem
(http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-04/msg00471.html).
Also that Kenta MURATA had the same problem, and proposed an
alternative solution, namely, unset $COMSPEC
(http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-04/msg00476.html).

-- 
robert mcdougall  .  center for global trade analysis

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/