Subject: RE: cygwin1.dll
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: Neil Lunn <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:55:21 -0400

At 08:21 PM 8/27/2001, Neil Lunn wrote:
>I'd like to know what peoples exact facination with putting cygwin1.dll in
>their Windows system directory is anyway. This should only ever be needed
>when programs are launched independantly of a shell like bash. Mostly things
>like inetd "as a service" which you can't do on Win98 anyway.

I too am fascinated by the many people who's proclivity is to short-circuit
the install program (setup.exe) and move (or put a copy of) cygwin1.dll
into the Windows system directory.  I take exception with your caveat that
it is necessary to do this to launch programs independently of bash.  It 
is *not*.  One can always add the Cygwin bin directory to their Windows 
path (preferably at the front but if you know what you're doing, put it 
anywhere in the list).  Copying or moving cygwin1.dll to any directory is
an action that creates an unsupported installation.  If you're willing to
accept the fact that the list will not spend time helping you with problems
with your custom installation, then I see no problem with doing as you see
fit.  However, it should be clear that this list overwhelmingly rejects 
the notion of custom installations, for sanity sake.

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/