Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT] perl-5.6.1-2
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 08:32:29 +0200

Finally it happened...
perl-5.6.1-2 was uploaded to sourceware -- it should be on the mirrors soon.
This perl is a first release of the final 5.6.1 version, so please run your 
smoke tests and report all problems.

This release is based on perl-5.6.1 release:

http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/perl5-porters/2001-04/msg00805.html

Since April there were applied many patches and bugfixes which were also 
included.  Changelog since 5.6.1 release is included in the distribution 
(/usr/doc/Cygwin/perl-5.6.1.README), and for a preview it is up here: 
http://familiehaase.de/cywgin/perl/
                       ^^^^^^ NO TYPO:-)

Be sure to read the /usr/doc/Cygwin/perl-5.6.1.README for details about
this release.  In particular, it already includes the Bundle::CPAN
modules so you can quickly start downloading from CPAN.

INSTALLATION:

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://www.cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your
system.  Run setup.exe in your local package directory and answer all 
of the questions.
If you run setup.exe for the first time, all packages will be loaded,
if you ran it before, only the updated and missing packages get fetched.
(You may also choose to get one single package or source).

**********************************************************************
******** PLEASE, choose a local mirror site for your download ********
**********************************************************************

even if it might take a while until this new archive is propagated
to the mirrors.  The 'sources.redhat.com' site is badly overloaded
and doesn't allow to load down cygwin.
I checked these mirrors, they already got the package, the others
probably will have the latest version of this package fairly soon:

  ftp://planetmirror.com/pub/cygwin/ (US)
  ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/pc/gnuwin32/cygwin/mirrors/cygnus/ (Germany)
  ftp://ftp1.sinica.edu.tw/pub3/CYGNUS/cygwin/ (Taiwan)

To install this version of perl you will have to tell setup.exe to
install it as usual. 

Please report problems to <cygwin at cygwin.com>.

Gerrit P. Haase, 2001-08-22

-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/