Subject: Re: Samba for Cygwin
From: Joshua Jensen <[email-masked]>
To: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:41:15 -0400

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 03:56:30PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Joshua Jensen wrote:
> 
> > I show all my students Cygwin, and they love it.  Their number one
> > question, though, is "where is Samba for Cygwin?".  Are there aspects of
> > Samba that are particularly problematic when porting to Cygwin?  Are
> > there any plans for Samba on Cygwin?
> 
> 
> Umm...why?
> 
> Samba allows linux/unix machines to export shares using the SMB/CIFS 
> protocol.
> 
> smbfs allows linux machines to mount shares from other machines (incl. 
> windows) using SMB/CIFS.

Samba is better at exporting, which more individualized settings (esp.
security related) availible per-share than Windows.

When I say "Samba" I don't mean smbfs... I just want the server and the
smbclient/smbprint/etc utils.

> Windows ALREADY can export and mount shares using SMB/CIFS.  These 
> filesharing tools are *builtin* to windows 9x/Me and NT/2k.  Why run samba?

> That's like asking to port WINE to Cygwin (or port cygwin to WINE). 

That's just it... it ISN'T like your analogy at all.  WINE in Cygwin
would allow native windows apps (assuming WINE works ;-) ) to run in
Cygwin. Smbclient in Cygwin/Windows would provide something totally
different that is NOT availible in Windows: a command line interface to
SMB shares.  Samba *server* in Cygwin would allow something not
availible in Windows, very fine-grained, text-based,
intuitive-to-Unix-heads SMB-share configuration.

> It's a gee-whiz proof-of-concept, but has no practical value.

This is so wrong... many, many people would prefer to use Samba's server
on Windows, even over Window's ability to do some (but not all) of the
same things "natively".

-- 
Jøshµa Jensên		Red Hat Global Learning Services
[email-masked]	Instructor of RHCE, Linux Security, and Apache courses
Work: 919 547 0012 x 298	Mobile: 919 454 9679	Fax: 919 806 3126
gpg: 1024D/421C5FFD 5D4F B950 04AA 6878 BE6C  967D ACD3 B7D4 421C 5FFD

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/