Subject: Where do terminal line settings come from?
From: "Robert A McDougall" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:58:42 EST

I am happily using the current stable cygwin on Win 98 and ME.

There is one minor annoyance with cygwin bash, that some 
readline bindings don't work. In particular, C-s doesn't do 
forward-search-history and C-o doesn't do operate-and-get-next; 
even though "bind -P" says they should. 

It seems that cygwin intercepts these before they get to 
readline. "stty -a" shows, inter alia, "stop = ^S", "flush = 
^O". "stty stop undef flush undef" fixes the problem.

However this still leaves a few questions:

*   How are these settings initialised (evidently not with
    agetty as on Linux)? 
*   Why are they set as they are?
*   Does undefining stop and flush have adverse consequences?
    ("stop" doesn't seem to stop anything on my console.)
*   Is it possible to change the settings at initialisation
    time, rather than ex-post? (I guess termcap or terminfo
    might have something to do with it, but their cygwin
    entries don't say anything about ^C or ^O.) 

No doubt the answer to all these questions is RTFM, but I'm 
having some difficulty finding the right FM. For example, "info 
stty" was helpful in getting as far as I've got, but doesn't 
have the whole story, and doesn't lead anywhere else.

I realise this is one of the more trivial help requests on the 
mailing list. Still, if someone would point me in the right 
direction, I'd be grateful.

-- 
robert mcdougall  .  center for global trade analysis

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/