Subject: About Those Sound Problems
From: "David A. Cobb" <[email-masked]>
To: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
Cc: Xemacs Beta Development MailList <[email-masked]>, Cygwin General MailList <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 09:37:21 -0400

At 8/8/01 02:32 PM (Wednesday), Charles Wilson wrote:

>>Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.3-5/specs
>>gcc version 2.95.3-5 (cygwin special)
>>  /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.3-5/collect2.exe --subsystem 
>> windows -Bdynamic --dll-search-prefix=cyg -o temacs.exe /usr/lib/crt0.o 
>> -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib/w32api ...
>
>
>But this is not good.  The second step (and most important) of my advice 
>was to add "--verbose" to THIS command as well.  Then, ld/collect will 
>explicitly list EVERY place it looks for EVERY dependency, indicating 
>whether or not the search was successful for EACH case.
>
>Add --verbose to the collect2 command (if you're really ambitions, change 
>the executable to "ld" instead of "collect2").

Can this be done with an environment variable or must I locate and edit 
some makefile?

>>linuxplay.o(.text+0x124c):linuxplay.c: multiple definition of 
>>`play_sound_file'
>>ntplay.o(.text+0x418):ntplay.c: first defined here
>>linuxplay.o(.text+0x12cc):linuxplay.c: multiple definition of 
>>`play_sound_data'
>>ntplay.o(.text+0x6f8):ntplay.c: first defined here
>
>
>Didn't SOMEBODY suggest that you fix this linux sound problem FIRST, so 
>that your link failures are single-cause, and not multiple-cause?  Why did 
>you refuse to follow that advice?

I took the actions advised!  They don't fix the problem.  It isn't fixed 
because I don't know how in hades to fix it!  Innocently, I thought 
building a package would be a routine exercise.

>I am going to stop responding to this thread until you follow the advice
>that has already been given.  why should anyone help you if their advice will
>only be ignored?

I'm sorry if I've offended.  I *have* taken the advice I've been given.  If 
you glance at the quoted "configure" options, I removed the 
"--with-sound=native,noesd" but the script still finds some header that 
screws it up.  I suppose what I need to do is remove the headers completely?!!

David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around nice guy.
Get my PGP key at
:<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit>
Fingerprint=0x{6E3E_DB8C_2E8C_4248_62B2_FE29_08EE_CF0A_3629_E954}
:<http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit&fingerprint=on>
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner."
--The Way of a Pilgrim, R. M. French [tr.]
Potentially Viral Software is any software for which you are not allowed
to examine the source.  Do not buy or use Potentially Viral Software!
<---.----!----.----!----.----!----.----!----.----!----.----!----.---->

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/