Subject: Possible to login as different user?
From: William Guynes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 15:17:08 -0500

This problem is so fundamental in nature that it does not appear in
the documentation.  Yes, I have read about NTSEC in the
documentation.

I log into my Win2kPro box as me (i.e. not Administrator), but I am a
member of  Administrator group.  Cygwin has also set up a "me" and an
"administrator" login.

What is the expected procedure for me to login as "administrator",
assuming I'm logged in to Win2kPro as "me" to begin with?

 - "su" command is non-existant in my default install.  I installed
everything possible with the setup.exe.
 - "login" gives a "Login incorrect"

After reading some of the mailing list archives, I used crypt and
tried to manually edit the /etc/passwd file password for those two
logins.

My problem appears to be some fundamental lack of understanding of
the differences between a full Unix system and Cygwin unix-emulation.
Cygwin has some expectations I'm only beginning to comprehend.

-- 
William Guynes

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/