Subject: Re: BUG - 1.3.n accept fails if NULL sockaddr * argument and other related stuff.
From: "Mike Thomas" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Corinna Vinschen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 10:31:40 +1000

Thanks Chris.

Note that this is not a public email.

I am sorry that my first Cygwin bug report has apparently caused such a
negative vibe in your office.

Please consider that a lot of people, including myself, appreciate the work
you people do, but we can't all direct our full attention to Cygwin, nor be
experts in the internal workings of that library.

In other words, "Standard answer #13", is standard for legitimate reasons
and does not deserve a cynical response.

My guess as a software professional is that a drastic change to the function
concerned (accept()) could break a lot of code.  (I may be wrong about that,
but better to be safe than sorry where other people's efforts are at stake.)
For that reason I offered my comments up for reasonable consideration by
people that I obviously considered to be more knowledgeable than myself in
that area.

On a final note, let us not forget that Redhat presumably makes a profit
from its association with Cygwin, and therefore derives profit from people
such as myself taking the time to post informative bug reports.  That is my
payback to Cygwin for the benefits I derive from it's use and I suspect more
than most people actually give.

I look forward to a more friendly response to any further bug reports I may
submit in the future.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.

----- Original Message -----
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2001 3:56 AM
Subject: Re: BUG - 1.3.n accept fails if NULL sockaddr * argument and other
related stuff.

> On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 10:02:48AM +1000, Mike Thomas wrote:
> >Hi Corinna.
> >
> >Thanks for the reply.
> >
> >> So, would you like to send us a patch?
> >
> >I believe that a patch would be best supplied by someone who knows
somthing
> >about sockets and the interactions of Cygwin and the Win32 libraries.
> >Before you tell me to find out the information I need, I have to say that
I
> >am involved with other open source projects and barely have time for
those,
> >without rebuilding cygwin as well.
>
> i.e., "standard answer #13" when someone is asked for a patch.
>
> cgf
>
> --
> Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
> Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
>

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/