Subject: Re: Licensing terms
From: Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
To: "Clark, Matthew C (FL51)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 15:16:53 +0200

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 08:52:31AM -0400, Clark, Matthew C (FL51) wrote:
> 
> I'm looking for a little clarification about the GPL that covers 
> cygwin, specifically the gcc compiler.  I used to be under the 
> impression that if I modified something covered by the GPL (such as 
> a linux module, or a cygwin tool), then I'd have to make the changes 
> public.  Now it seems that even if I just use/link a GPL'ed object, 
> such as libcygwin.a, I have to make any and all source code I might 
> have compiled under cygwin's gcc open source.  Is this correct?  
> If so, is this specific to cygwin or GPL in general and when 
> did this happen?  

Basically you'll have to release the sources of applications linked
against Cygwin. Except when

- you never release the application since you're using it only
  internally in your office or so. That's the trivial case.

- you purchase a special Cygwin license from Red Hat. For a
  one time fee per project you may distribute also proprietary
  software linked against Cygwin.
  Visit http://www.redhat.com/products/support/cygwin/ for more
  information.

Corinna

-- 
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Developer                                mailto:[email-masked]
Red Hat, Inc.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/