Subject: Re: cygipc works only for administrator? (2nd attempt)
From: [email-masked]
To: Markus Hoenicka <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:11:27 -0500

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:51:45PM +0000, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
> I've been trying to run postgresql as a daemon, but I failed so far
> due to a problem with shared memory. I've set up the latest cygipc
> release on an NT4 box with a fairly recent (~2 weeks) Cygwin
> installation according to the cygipc README. I run cygipc as a daemon
> under the local system account. This works well and ipctest g|h|s
> works if run as an administrator. If I try the same from any other
> account, ipctest h will fail.

I run much the same configuration and it works fine for me -- no
shared memory problems.  However, I am a bit behind the latest Cygwin
DLL release.

In the past I've seen symptoms similar to what you report, but they
went away and I'm not sure which of the many changes I made to my
system made the difference.  This may be superstition, but one thing
that seemed to help at least once was to clean up the temp files used
by cygipc:

+ stop the Cygwin ipc-daemon service and (before that) any services
  that depend on it.
+ remove all the /tmp/MultiFile* and /tmp/cygipc* files.
+ start up the services again.

WARNING: Run this procedure at your own risk.  I can't guarantee that
it won't mess up your system.

-- 
Fred Yankowski           [email-masked]      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370
OntoSys, Inc             38W242 Deerpath Rd, Batavia, IL 60510, USA

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/