Subject: Strange problem after re-installation
From: "Fergus on Linux" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Fergus on Linux" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 22:26:59 +0100

Following an unrelated problem with Windows I have re-installed Windows 98
on a clean machine. My user name has no spaces (previously it did have). I
installed Cygwin not from the net but from a Zipdisk containing a net
download from about 2 weeks ago. This has installed successfully in the
past. Two key files in /latest/cygwin are

  64,618  15/07/01   6:32 newlib-man-20001118.tar.gz
727,185  15/07/01   6:32 cygwin-1.3.2-1.tar.gz

if this helps identify the system.

The re-installation appeared to go OK but I have found that

            echo $SHELL
gives
            /bin/sh

(rather than the /bin/bash that I was expecting and got in the past). Also,
compiled C programs that make system() calls result in nothing being done
(or, nothing being seen to be done).  This is observed in numerous contexts,
but the simplest is the following program, test.c:-

#include <stdio.h>
main(){
  system("ls -l");
  exit(0);
}

which does not complain when run, but the prompt returns with no 'ls'
output.   This is true in the default Cygwin terminal window or in an rxvt
window, under 'sh' or 'bash'.

I cannot think that I have behaved in any way differently during
installation, to past occasions. Nor does it seem to me likely that the
installation tree has become corrupted. I had been using Cygwin for a long
time without this problem on a previous disk on the same machine.

If any of this helps identify my problem I would be very happy to hear from
anybody who can help with it. Thank you.

Fergus

Dr Fergus Daly
Ninewells Hospital and Medical School
Dundee, Scotland, UK

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/