Subject: ghostscript 6.51-1: ps2pdf, pdfwrite problem
From: "Robert A McDougall" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 02:38:27 EST

Under Win98, with ghostscript 6.51-1, ps2pdf generates broken files.
There seems to be a problem with the pdfwrite device in ghostscript.  

(1) ps2pdf runs silently, but the output file is broken:  

$ ps2pdf small2e.ps small2e.pdf
$ start small2e.pdf
    [in message box in Acrobat Reader]
    There was an error opening this document.  The root object is
    missing or invalid.

(2) Invoking ghostscript directly generates an error message:

$ gs -dSAFER -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-sOutputfile=small2e.pdf -dSAFER -c .setpdfwrite -f small2e.ps 
**** Unable to open the initial device, quitting.

(3) Selecting the pdfwrite device from standard input:

$ echo "(pdfwrite) selectdevice
quit" | gs
GNU Ghostscript 6.51 (2001-03-28)
Copyright (C) 2001 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file COPYING for details.
GS>Error: /undefinedfilename in --.setdevice--
Operand stack:
   --nostringval--
Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval-
-   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   %loop_continue   2
 3   %oparray_pop   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_pus
h   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopp
ed_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   1   3   %oparray_pop   --nostringv
al--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:1018/1476(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:67/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: 2
Current file position is 24
GS<1>$

(4) other remarks

`small2e.ps' looks fine under GSview. I can select other devices, e.g.,
ljet4, from standard input, without getting an "undefinedfilename" error.

(5) $ cygcheck -rsv

Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Sat Jul 28 02:34:24 2001

Win9X Ver 4.10 build 67766446  A 

Path:	/lf9045/bin
	/usr/local/bin
	/usr/bin
	/bin
	/cygdrive/z/PUBLIC
	/cygdrive/y/BATCH
	/cygdrive/x/OFFICE30
	/cygdrive/w/LF9045/BIN
	/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS
	/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/COMMAND
	/cygdrive/c/GP
	/cygdrive/c/OPT/EMACS/BIN
	/cygdrive/c/OPT/TEXMF/MIKTEX/BIN
	/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/SYMANTEC/PCANYW~1
	/cygdrive/c/OPT/PERL/BIN
	/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/TCL/BIN
	//c/bin
	.
	./bin

SysDir: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
WinDir: C:\WINDOWS

PWD = `/usr/share/texmf'
USER = `mcdougall'
MAKE_MODE = `unix'
HOME = `/cygdrive/c/home/rad'

PROMPT = `$p$g'
TZ = `EST5'
COMSPEC = `C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM'
PAGER = `/usr/bin/less.exe'
!C: = `C:\opt\cygwin\bin'
NWLANGUAGE = `English'
CMDLINE = `bash --login -i'
HOSTNAME = `MCDOUGALL'
GPFROOT = `W:\LF9045'
WINDIR = `C:\WINDOWS'
NIC = `006097C9870D'
WINBOOTDIR = `C:\WINDOWS'
PS1 = `\W$ '
BLASTER = `A220 I5 D1 T4 P300'
RCSINIT = `-zLT'
!G: = `G:\WinPmail.32a'
GPFLIB = `W:\LF9045\LIB'
VISUAL = `/usr/bin/vim'
LESS = `-iC'
MACHTYPE = `i686-pc-cygwin'
AWKPATH = `/bin:./bin'
OLDPWD = `/cygdrive/c/home/rad'
BASH_ENV = `/cygdrive/c/home/rad/.bashrc'
TEMP = `/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/TEMP'
!W: = `W:\Lf9045\Bin'
WINDOWS_LOGIN = `0'
TMP = `/tmp'
!X: = `X:\OFFICE30'
SHLVL = `1'
!Y: = `Y:\BATCH'
!Z: = `Z:\public'
SHELL = `/bin/bash'
CVSEDITOR = `/usr/bin/vim'
HOSTTYPE = `i686'
CVSROOT = `/srv/cvs'
OSTYPE = `cygwin'
TERM = `cygwin'
VIM = `/usr/share/vim'
_ = `/usr/bin/cygcheck'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
 Menu\&Programs\Cygnus Solutions
  (default) = (unsupported type)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
  (default) = `/cygdrive'
  cygdrive flags = 0x00000020
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/srv/cvs
  (default) = `C:\srv\cvs'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/home/rad/var/cvs
  (default) = `C:\home\rad\var\cvs'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/
  (default) = `C:\opt\cygwin'
  flags = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin
  (default) = `C:/opt/cygwin/bin'
  flags = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/lib
  (default) = `C:/opt/cygwin/lib'
  flags = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\00
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\01
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\02
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\03
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\04
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\05
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\06
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\07
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\08
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\09
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0A
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0B
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0C
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0D
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0E
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0F
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\10
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\11
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\12
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\13
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\14
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\15
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\16
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\17
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\18
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\19
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1A
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1B
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1C
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\00
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\01
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\02
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\03
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\04
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\05
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\06
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\07
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\08
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\09
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0E
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0F
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\10
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\11
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\12
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\13
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\14
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\15
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\16
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\17
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\18
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\19
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1D

a:  fd           N/A    N/A                    
c:  hd  FAT32  19525Mb  72% CP    UN           AGEC041800
d:  fd           N/A    N/A                    
e:  cd           N/A    N/A                    
f:  net OS2     7152Mb  87% CP          FC     SYS
g:  net OS2     4000Mb  63% CP          FC     APP
h:  net OS2     7152Mb  87% CP          FC     SYS
k:  net OS2     9938Mb  59% CP          FC     DAT
w:  net OS2     4000Mb  63% CP          FC     APP
x:  net OS2     4000Mb  63% CP          FC     APP
y:  net OS2     7152Mb  87% CP          FC     SYS
z:  net OS2     7152Mb  87% CP          FC     SYS

C:\home\rad\var\cvs  /home/rad/var/cvs  user    binmode
C:\opt\cygwin\bin  /usr/bin  user    textmode
C:\opt\cygwin\lib  /usr/lib  user    textmode
C:\opt\cygwin  /        user    textmode
C:\srv\cvs  /srv/cvs  user    binmode
c:    /cygdrive/c  user    textmode,noumount
f:    /cygdrive/f  user    textmode,noumount
g:    /cygdrive/g  user    textmode,noumount
h:    /cygdrive/h  user    textmode,noumount
k:    /cygdrive/k  user    textmode,noumount
w:    /cygdrive/w  user    textmode,noumount
x:    /cygdrive/x  user    textmode,noumount
y:    /cygdrive/y  user    textmode,noumount
z:    /cygdrive/z  user    textmode,noumount

Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\bash.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cat.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cpp.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\find.exe
Found: c:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\find.exe
Warning: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\find.exe hides c:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\find.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\gcc.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\gdb.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\ld.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\ls.exe
Found: z:\PUBLIC\ls.exe
Warning: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\ls.exe hides z:\PUBLIC\ls.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\make.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\sh.exe

   56k 2000/12/03 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygbz21.0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygbz21.0.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/11/20 18:53
   81k 2001/04/28 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygitcl30.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygitcl30.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/28 17:57
   35k 2001/04/28 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygitk30.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygitk30.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/28 17:57
  390k 2001/04/28 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygtcl80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtcl80.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/28 17:56
    5k 2001/04/28 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygtclpip80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
   10k 2001/04/28 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygtclreg80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtclreg80.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/28 17:56
  623k 2001/04/28 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygtk80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtk80.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/28 17:57
   18k 2000/10/23 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cyggdbm.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggdbm.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/10/22 21:26
   21k 2001/06/20 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygintl.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygintl.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/6/20 12:09
   45k 2001/07/04 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygjbig1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygjbig1.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/7/3 22:25
  119k 2001/06/06 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygjpeg6b.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygjpeg6b.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/6/5 23:27
  163k 2001/05/06 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygpng2.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpng2.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/5/5 23:05
   45k 2001/04/25 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygform5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygform5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/25 0:28
   26k 2001/04/25 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygmenu5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygmenu5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/25 0:27
  156k 2001/04/25 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygncurses++5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygncurses++5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/25 0:29
  226k 2001/04/25 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygncurses5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygncurses5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/25 0:17
   15k 2001/04/25 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygpanel5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpanel5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/25 0:27
   17k 2001/06/28 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cyghistory4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyghistory4.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/6 23:34
   21k 2001/06/28 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cyghistory5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyghistory5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/6/27 21:27
  108k 2001/06/28 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygreadline4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygreadline4.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/6 23:34
  135k 2001/06/28 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygreadline5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygreadline5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/6/27 21:27
  245k 2001/06/12 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygtiff3.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtiff3.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/6/12 12:25
   41k 2001/07/04 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygXpm-noX4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXpm-noX4.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/7/3 20:21
   45k 2001/07/04 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygXpm-X4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXpm-X4.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/11/19 21:45
   49k 2001/02/03 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygz.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/2/3 15:35
  678k 2001/05/21 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/5/20 22:28
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        dll major: 1003
        dll minor: 2
        dll epoch: 19
        dll bad signal mask: 19005
        dll old termios: 5
        dll malloc env: 28
        api major: 0
        api minor: 39
        shared data: 3
        dll identifier: cygwin1
        mount registry: 2
        cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        program options name: Program Options
        cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
        cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
        cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
        cygdrive default prefix: 
        build date: Sun May 20 23:28:17 EDT 2001
        shared id: cygwin1S3

Use -h to see help about each section

-- 
robert mcdougall  .  center for global trade analysis

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/