Subject: Re: "Prepend" doesn't mean what you think it means
From: Kurt Roeckx <[email-masked]>
To: Clarke Echols <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:56:46 +0200

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 07:35:08PM -0600, Clarke Echols wrote:
> 
> "Prepend" is a very obscure word which means literally to premeditate,
> as in, "He looked at her with malice prepended."

To start, my maiden language is not English.

Looking up in things in the dictionary, prepend doesn't exist,
except in the jargon files, where it means add to the beginning.

Maybe you mean something like perpend?

From the dictionary:
   Etymology: Middle English, from Latin perpendere, from per-thoroughly
   + pendere to weigh -- more at PER-, PENDANT
   Date: 15th century
   transitive senses : to reflect on carefully : PONDER
   intransitive senses : to be attentive : REFLECT

Kurt

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/