Subject: How to make your shell window bigger
From: "Michael D. Crawford" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 02:02:15 -0400

I was about to ask how to make my CygWin bash shell window bigger, but then I
checked the FAQ and figured it out from the entry on how to copy&paste, so
instead of asking I'm telling you how.  Perhaps this would be a good thing for
someone to add to the FAQ.

I've only done the following on NT, maybe it's a little different on 98.

Q: How do I make my shell windows bigger?

A: If you click on the CygWin icon on the left side of the shell window title
bar, a menu will appear.  Select Properties, then click the Layout tab.

You can adjust both the size of the screen buffer and the window.  If you make
the buffer bigger than the window, scroll bars will be added.  If you make the
buffer smaller than the window, the window will shrink to match it.

Click OK.  You will be asked whether to apply the new properties to the current
window only, or to modify the shortcut that started this window, so that changes
will affect every window in the future.

If you installed CygWin as the NT administrator, but are running the shell as a
regular user without administrator priveliges, you will be unable to modify the
shortcut.  Log in as the administrator to make your changes.

--

(I don't give myself administrative priveliges when I do normal work in NT, with
the perhaps mistaken belief that I will avoid accidentally trashing my system or
allowing a trojan horse to successfully activate.

Also I'd like to recommend that the FAQ entry on how to enable the clipboard in
CygWin be updated to mention that the Edit menu can be found by clicking the
CygWin icon in the title bar.  The normal usage of menus in that location in
most Windows application doesn't include stuff like properties or edit menus, so
I've been using CygWin for a couple years now frustrated by my uninformed
ability to copy and paste text in it - or grow the window).

Best,

Mike
-- 
Michael D. Crawford
GoingWare Inc. - Expert Software Development and Consulting
http://www.goingware.com
[email-masked]

  Tilting at Windmills for a Better Tomorrow.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/