Subject: RE: building gcc/g++ seems OK but building g77 seems to be seriously broken
From: "ted byers" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Mumit Khan'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:57:09 -0400

Thanks Mumit,

Oh OK,  The configure command I used was:

$
../Source/gcc-3.0/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-3.0 --enable-threads --d
isable-win32-registry --enable-sjlj-exceptions --with-included-gettext --ena
ble-languages='c++,f77'

What is the "-lm", and is there anything I can do about it?  I would like to
test this, so I can verify whether or not g77 is working correctly.  I want
to experiment with mixed language programming using fortran and C++ (because
most of my development is based primarily in C++, but there is an incredible
wealth of number crunching libraries available in fortran).  However, if I
encounter a problem, I do not want to have to worry that something I did
when building g77 might have broken it in a way that precludes what I am
attempting from working correctly.

Thanks again,

Ted

-----Original Message-----
From: Mumit Khan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 6:24 PM
To: ted byers
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: building gcc/g++ seems OK but building g77 seems to be
seriously broken

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, ted byers wrote:

> Well, I have now built GCC3 a couple times, trying to figure out what has
> gone awry, but nothing seems to fix g77 (the summary given below show why
I
> think it is seriously broken).  gcc and g++ seem to be OK since their
> respective test suites give the expected results (the number of unexpected
> failures being extemely small).

When you report gcc build problems, you really need to provide the flags
you passed to configure. Too many variables otherwise.

> 		=== g77 Summary ===
>
> # of expected passes		281
> # of unexpected failures	334
> # of untested testcases		326
> /home/Bted/Objects/gcc/g77 g77 version 3.0 (Fortran Frontend version
0.5.26
> 20010617 (experimental))

Probably a problem in the g77 tests, which passes the -lm, and that causes
a problem on Cygwin 1.1.x.

Regards,
Mumit

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/