Subject: Re: Making GDBM [ a long story ]
From: "David A. Cobb" <[email-masked]>
To: "Charles S. Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Cygwin General MailList <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:06:36 -0400

At 7/14/01 10:55 PM (Saturday), Charles S. Wilson wrote:
[snip]

>>checking for esd-config... no
>>     xemacs will be linked with "miscplay.o"
>>! *** THIS IS GOING TO BE ANOTHER PROBLEM *** !
>
>
>Looks like a mistake in the XEmacs 21.5 series.  Many times the linux 
>folks put in a change that causes regression failures like this -- 
>especially on cygwin.

Sound is a problem all the time in Xemacs.  I probably need to 
--with-sound=native, or something similar.

>>. . . .
>>AND FINALLY
>>. . . .
>>checking for database support
>>checking for ndbm.h... no
>>Error: Required DBM support cannot be provided.
>>:[S!] Bash $
>
>
>Well, since
>   (a)/usr/include/ndbm.h DOES exist (if you've installed the gdbm 
> package) and
>   (b) I and many others HAVE successfully built XEmacs with gdbm support 
> on cygwin in the past (21.4.3 and prior)
>
>This again looks like some sort of regression failure in XEmacs' configure 
>script.

  Maybe having to do with /where/ the configure script looks for the 
ndbm?  I wasn't planning to dive right into the wonders of configure, but I 
guess now is as good a time as any.

>>Aha! Maybe I need to build it locally {I thought}, so - get the source 
>>and . . . .

>This should never be necessary.  If a package has been ported and included 
>in the official dist, then it should work.  If it doesn't, then it's a bug 
>-- either in the "official" package or the client code you're trying to 
>build.  You shouldn't need to go rebuilding stuff on your own -- unless 
>you're a glutton for punishment.

I'm _not_!

>>:[S!] Bash $ ../configure --target=i686-pc-cygwin \
>>  > --without-x \
>>  > --with-gnu-ld \
>>  > --exec-prefix=/usr/local/i686-pc-cygwin/
>[snip]
>>creating Makefile
>>creating autoconf.h
>>:[S!] Bash $ make
>>/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile /usr/bin/gcc -mcygwin -c   -I. -I.. -O 
>>../dbminit.c
>>../libtool: Can't open ../libtool: No such file or directory
>>make: *** [dbminit.lo] Error 2
>
>
>Well, it looks like you're building gdbm from the official GNU source. 
>AFAIRC, gdbm *does* build OOB on cygwin -- if all you want is the static 
>lib.  Why didn't you use the cygwin-patched source from sourceware? Also, 
>I *vaugely* remember something about the permissions in the official GNU 
>tarball on "litool" not being executable -- if you're using 
>CYGWIN=ntsec.  But I could be mistaken.

Nope!  The only source I have is what I downloaded from Cygwin.  I'm on a 
Win98se machine so there ain't no 'ntsec.'  I also have read various 
negative things about libtool on Cygwin, but I didn't know what they were 
talking about.

I will (also) check with Xemacs-Nt.

David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around nice guy.
Get my PGP key at
:<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit>
Fingerprint=0x{6E3E_DB8C_2E8C_4248_62B2_FE29_08EE_CF0A_3629_E954}
:<http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit&fingerprint=on>
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner."
--The Way of a Pilgrim, R. M. French [tr.]
Potentially Viral Software is any software for which you are not allowed
to examine the source.  Do not buy or use Potentially Viral Software!
<---.----!----.----!----.----!----.----!----.----!----.----!----.---->

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/