Subject: Re: What does Dos mode vs unix mode mean when you install cygwin
From: Warren Young <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin-L <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:01:13 -0600

"Castle, Eric" wrote:
> 
> just how cygwin, including processing files in perl, uses either \r\n or \n
> for line termination?

Yes, and how text files are created, by default.

> I don't recall the old installer program (called full.exe) ask that question
> back on B18.

It's a fairly new feature.

> Any recomendation on which type to use? I've been choosing "dos" but not
> sure what that is really doing vs choosing unix.

I've had perl scripts copied over from the Linux box break because I was
using chop() to get rid of line endings instead of chomp().  If you tell
Cygwin to expect Unix line endings, that problem doesn't occur, but
then, maybe you have a lot of DOS text files already.  If I try to use
Cygwin on my Visual C++ source files, for example, I need to be using
DOS text mode.

That's why you're given a choice -- one answer isn't right for everyone.

Hmmm, an *ix lover at Intuit...so when's Quicken for Linux coming out? 
:)
-- 
= Warren -- ICBM Address: 36.8274040 N, 108.0204086 W, alt. 1714m

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/