Subject: Re: 1.3.2: date command does not show 3-letter time zone on NT.
From: "Ehud Karni" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 22:01:04 +0300

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 08:56:31 -0400, Bil Mason <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I have not tested this on any other Windows platform but NT.  To reproduce
> the problem, open a cygwin shell and type "date".  On my system the results
> look something like this:
> 
> bash-2.05$ date
> Mon Jul 16 08:46:49  2001
> 
> Note that the 3-letter time zone abbreviation should appear between the time
> and the year (for me that's EDT).
> 
> No combination of options will output the time zone including the most
> obvious "date +%Z" (this produces blank output).

The Linux and the Cygwin date are derived from the same source 
[ date (GNU sh-utils) 2.0  Written by David MacKenzie ] so it should be
the same. I did not look into it but I will do it by the weekend. The
`date' that comes from ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/ has the 3 letters
time zone (but has other problems).

The `zic' `zdump' and various relating man pages should be included in
Cygwin. I posted a suggestion about it 2 weeks ago but got no comments.
I'm willing to maintain it (check for new versions and make any
necessary adjustments).

Ehud.

-- 
 Ehud Karni     Mivtach - Simon  Insurance   /"\
 Tel: +972-3-6212-757 Fax: +972-3-6292-544   \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 (USA) Fax and  voice  mail: 1-815-5509341    X   Against  HTML  Mail
     Better     Safe     Than     Sorry      / \
     mailto:[email-masked]    http://www.simonwiesel.co.il

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/