Subject: Re: NTVDM illegal instruction
From: Dario Alcocer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Michael Eager <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 07:44:03 -0700

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Eager <[email-masked]> writes:

    Michael> I'm getting pop-up error message from "16-bit MSDOS
    Michael> Subsystem" which complains about "NTVDM illegal
    Michael> instruction"
             <--snip-->
    Michael> I'm running the latest version of Cygwin on NT2K, latest
    Michael> SR, on an Athlon processor.  The problem seems
    Michael> reproducable.
             <--snip-->
    Michael> Has anyone encountered similar problems?

Yes.  I was getting NTVDM errors when I was trying to generate a cross
compiler (unfortunately, I didn't hear anything regarding this):

    http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2000-12/msg00059.html

In this instance, it appeared related to forking the compiler for a
configure test.  The other time I saw these NTVDM errors were when
configure was trying a vfork() test (also when I was trying to build
another cross compiler.)  In both cases, the bug could be reproduced
roughly 90% of the time.

If I had to guess, I'd say there's some sort of issue with the
fork()/vfork() implementation.  Unfortunately, I didn't have the time
then, but I might be able to help you track this error down this time.
The only thing I have to offer is the fact that I have an old copy of
SoftICE for NT, so if I can reproduce this bug (and find my copy of
SoftICE), I might be able to contribute.

-- 
Dario Alcocer -- Sr. Software Developer, Helix Digital Inc.
[email-masked] -- http://www.helixdigital.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/