Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cygrunsrv-0.94-1
From: Fred Yankowski <[email-masked]>
To: Riaan Labuschagne <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:19:49 -0500

I'm glad to hear that others are having success running PostgreSQL via
cygrunsrv.

In my testing though, there is one remaining problem in using
PostgreSQL under Cygwin:  the postmaster sometimes does not shutdown
cleanly during NT shutdown and therefore fails to start up on the next
NT restart.  To work around this it's necessary to manually remove the
postmaster.pid file and start the postmaster service.

This problem happens because Cygwin sends SIGHUP to each process
during NT shutdown.  The postmaster process reacts to SIGHUP by
starting to reload its configuration files (as designed) and this
somehow jams up a concurrent attempt to shutdown the postmaster.  I've
got a simple patch to the PostgreSQL code to have it ignore SIGHUP
when built for Cygwin -- in both the postmaster and any postgresql
processes -- but I haven't found the time to pursue a better solution
or to champion inclusion of this patch into the distributed PostgreSQL.

I'd be glad to hear from anyone who has thoughts about how to solve
this SIGHUP problem.

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 12:09:56PM +0200, Riaan Labuschagne wrote:
> I have used your Cygrunsrv to run PostgreSQL on Windows. Everything works
> perfectly. I read through your docs and got it right first time.

-- 
Fred Yankowski           [email-masked]      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370
OntoSys, Inc             38W242 Deerpath Rd, Batavia, IL 60510, USA

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/