Subject: RE: initdb failure - postgres hangs with 100% CPU
From: Steve Jorgensen <[email-masked]>
To: "Cygwin List (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 13:56:00 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From:	Jason Tishler [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Wednesday, July 11, 2001 11:27 AM
To:	Steve Jorgensen
Cc:	cygwin@cygwin. Com (E-mail)
Subject:	Re: initdb failure - postgres hangs with 100% CPU

Steve,

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 11:09:52AM -0700, Steve Jorgensen wrote:
> I would have thought a native cygwin library would be .a, not .dll.

pq.dll is the "shared" (i.e., DLL) library, libpq.a is the import
library to which client code link.

[Steve Jorgensen]  Doh!  Right, .a is not a shared library on any platform. 
 I take it that Cygwin actually uses .dll as its normal shared library 
type, then, and does not have its own unique shared library type?  I 
presume this library is called pq.dll on Cygwin to avoid name conflicts 
with libpq.dll if both exist on a single system?

The code produced by either should be functionally identical.  Both are
only dependent on MS DLLs and not on the Cygwin one.  Mingw is a native
Win32 app and does not grok Posix style paths, mounts, symlinks, etc.
Of course, Cygwin gcc -mno-cygwin does.  IMO, the differences lie mainly
in the build environment.  Choose the flavor that you like best.

[Steve Jorgensen]  I'm figuring (not that I know what I'm talking about) 
that if I want to use autoconf/automake, I should try to use gcc.  I don't 
know much about these tools yet, but I imagine teaching them to handle 
Windows paths would be a big hassle and not worth the trouble since gcc 
-mno-cygwin is an available option.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/