Subject: Re: Libpq.dll on MinGW, was Re: initdb failure - postgres hangs with 100% CPU
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Christof Petig <[email-masked]>
Cc: Steve Jorgensen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:13:42 -0400

Christof,

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 01:30:16PM +0200, Christof Petig wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> 
> > By "using Cygwin/gcc" do you mean Cygwin's gcc -mno-cygwin or Mingw
> > mode?  If so, then it should be possible but I don't know of anyone who
> > has done it yet.
> 
> I have compiled and successfully tested libpq with mingw, including ecpg
> support. See my posting on psql-cygwin and mingw-users on july 2nd.

I actually read that email, but was on vacation at the time, so it went
right out of my mind -- those pesky holidays and vacations getting in
the way yet again! :,)

I have reviewed your patch.  IMO, only some of it would be accepted into
the mainline source by the PostgreSQL development team.  However, I feel
that your work is important and a very good start.

Would you be willing to take this to the next level?  First, you would
need to make a new Mingw Makefile (src/makefiles/Makefile.mingw) and port
header file template (src/include/port/mingw.h).  Then, diddle with the
autoconf stuff to select these new templates.  Finally, you would need
to convince make to just build the Mingw build-able stuff.

BTW, when reviewing your patch, I noticed a hunk against config.h.  Did
you configure under Cygwin first and then make your changes?  If not,
how was config.h generated?

I would be willing to review your patches before you submit then to
pgsql-patches.

Jason

-- 
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   732.264.8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: [email-masked]
Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/