Subject: Réf. : Postgresql on NT
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 07:58:22 -0500

Greetings.

  Did you consider running Postgresql on a Linux machine and have your VB apps call
  Postgresql via the network (using something equivalent to ODBC, JDBC)?  Not
  that I discourage using Cygwin, but you might avoid a lot of headaches this way
  since Cygwin is out of the picture at this point.

  Regarding your specific questions, I have no answer as myself I just started to use
  Cygwin.

  And another converted... Hurray! ;)

Sincerely,
Hans Deragon

Riaan Labuschagne <[email-masked]>@sources.redhat.com le 07/11/2001 02:33:09 AM

Envoyé par :   [email-masked]

Pour :    Cygwin Mailing list <[email-masked]>
cc :
Objet :   Postgresql on NT

good Morning everyone,

I am busy installing Postgresql on NT and have a set of questions, (I am not
at all Unix literate but have started learning with Red Hat and currently I
am quite comfortable with setting up everything Postgresql etc. on the Linux
machine.)

Most of the software we have written are running on Microsoft dbs but, due
to cost, we cannot afford it anymore. I have decided to move the db to
Postgres but because of all our software written in VB it will take a while
to convert to the Linux platform. (Which I am def. going to do) My questions
are as follows:

Question 1. I have read the Postgresql readme and have the bear minimum
needed to install Cygwin and PG on a NT machine. I currently execute PG with
a batch file that looks as follows.
*****************************************************
@echo off

C:
chdir \cygwin\bin

bash --verbose -c "./postmaster -S -i -F -n -D  /var/lib/pgsql/data"

bash --login -i
******************************************************
the problem now is that I do not know how to close the Cygwin Window once
everything is running.

Question 2.  The second Q. I would like to confirm: To execute a command
through the Windows "Start - Run" command I would type the following in the
Run window -- "c:\cygwin\bin\bash --verbose -c "./postmaster -S -i -F -D
/var/lib/pgsql/data"" to execute Pg for instance. Is this the correct way of
doing things?   P.S. The problem with this is that my Cygwin window is
shelled and I again have the problem as in Q1.

Question 3.  Once I shutdown NT and the Cygwin window is still open an "End
Task" window comes up. If I close the Cygwin window and do a Shutdown the
shutdown proceeds normally. Postgresql however does not shutdown correctly.
This is not a problem as I will close it before I do a shutdown. The
question is -- can I enable Pg to adhere to NT's shutdown command?

Question 4. The last Q. I would like to do a remote installation on a number
of machines without any human intervention is this possible with the
Cygwin/Pg installation, and if it is where can I find out how this is done?

Thanks to all.

Riaan Labuschagne
e-mail: [email-masked]
+27 82 567 9063
+27 21 982 2223
+27 21 982 2225 (fax)
Visit http://www.radioretail.co.za

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/