Subject: RE: nothing to install/update when using setup from local directo ry
From: Peter Buckley <[email-masked]>
To: "'Floyd Harriott'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 14:17:04 -0400

This was recently discussed on the list- and
have you tried searching the archives with google?

At www.google.com, you search for 

setup update site:cygwin.com

The following is a recent discussion of setup behaviour-
I cut and pasted the emails.

HTH, 
Peter

Hello,

I recently downloaded setup.exe 2.78.2.3 and used it.  If you choose 
"Download from Internet" and select a Local Package Directory, the "Select 
Packages to Download" screen compares the package versions on the FTP site 
with the INSTALLED versions of the packages instead of any packages already 
present in the "Local Package Directory" (These two sets are not 
necessarily the same!).  Under the "Current" column, it displays the 
versions of the installed packages too, instead of the packages in the 
"Local Package Directory".  If your installed cygwin is an earlier version 
(i.e. you didn't get approval from the boss to upgrade but wanted to keep 
the most current set of packages on your machine), and your "Local Package 
Directory" contains all of the most recent packages as yet not installed, 
the "Select Packages to Download" screen will inform you that you have 
umpteen packages out of date when in fact you may only have one or two out 
of date.  You can only find out which packages are actually newer than the 
ones in the "Local Package Directory" by selecting "download" and checking 
the log file afterwards.

===================================
John Daniel Doucette, Sr. Software Designer

J. J. MacKay Canada Limited
Halifax R & D Office
1046 Barrington Street, 1st Floor
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada
B3H 2R1

Phone		902.423.7727  x222
Fax		902.422.8108
Web		www . jjmackay . ca
Email		john . doucette @ jjmackay . ca
===================================

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Daniel Doucette" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 12:42
Subject: setup.exe 2.78.2.3 bug!

> I recently downloaded setup.exe 2.78.2.3 and used it.  If you choose
> "Download from Internet" and select a Local Package Directory, the "Select
> Packages to Download" screen compares the package versions on the FTP site
> with the INSTALLED versions of the packages instead of any packages
already
> present in the "Local Package Directory" (These two sets are not
> necessarily the same!).  Under the "Current" column, it displays the
> versions of the installed packages too, instead of the packages in the
> "Local Package Directory".  If your installed cygwin is an earlier version
> (i.e. you didn't get approval from the boss to upgrade but wanted to keep
> the most current set of packages on your machine), and your "Local Package
> Directory" contains all of the most recent packages as yet not installed,
> the "Select Packages to Download" screen will inform you that you have
> umpteen packages out of date when in fact you may only have one or two out
> of date.  You can only find out which packages are actually newer than the
> ones in the "Local Package Directory" by selecting "download" and checking
> the log file afterwards.

This is the currently expected behavior since setup.exe's focus is to
install packages in the Cygwin environment, but I see your point.  It would
be nice when just downloading files to have some indication if the files are
already present.  I'll keep it in mind the next time I'm offering a patch to
setup.exe.  (I am _NOT_ the primary developer of setup.exe, just an
occasional contributor.)

If you can figure out how to do it, feel free to submit a patch to
[email-masked].  The source is available in CVS
subdirectory winsup/cinstall.  See the "Contributing" link at
http://cygwin.com/ .

--
Mac :})
** I normally forward private questions to the appropriate mail list. **
Give a hobbit a fish and he eats fish for a day.
Give a hobbit a ring and he eats fish for an age.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 02:43:10PM -0700, Michael A. Chase wrote:
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "John Daniel Doucette" <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 12:42
>Subject: setup.exe 2.78.2.3 bug!
>
>>I recently downloaded setup.exe 2.78.2.3 and used it.  If you choose
>>"Download from Internet" and select a Local Package Directory, the
>>"Select Packages to Download" screen compares the package versions on
>>the FTP site with the INSTALLED versions of the packages instead of any
>>packages already present in the "Local Package Directory" (These two
>>sets are not necessarily the same!).  Under the "Current" column, it
>>displays the versions of the installed packages too, instead of the
>>packages in the "Local Package Directory".  If your installed cygwin is
>>an earlier version (i.e.  you didn't get approval from the boss to
>>upgrade but wanted to keep the most current set of packages on your
>>machine), and your "Local Package Directory" contains all of the most
>>recent packages as yet not installed, the "Select Packages to Download"
>>screen will inform you that you have umpteen packages out of date when
>>in fact you may only have one or two out of date.  You can only find
>>out which packages are actually newer than the ones in the "Local
>>Package Directory" by selecting "download" and checking the log file
>>afterwards.
>
>This is the currently expected behavior since setup.exe's focus is to
>install packages in the Cygwin environment, but I see your point.  It
>would be nice when just downloading files to have some indication if
>the files are already present.  I'll keep it in mind the next time I'm
>offering a patch to setup.exe.  (I am _NOT_ the primary developer of
>setup.exe, just an occasional contributor.)

I've checked in some changes which should revert to the old behavior.
As soon as cygwin-developers checks them out, I'll make a new version
available.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

-----Original Message-----
From: Floyd Harriott [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 11:27 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Q: nothing to install/update when using setup from local
directory

I've tried to search the archive but I can't find anything about my
problem.  My apologies if this has been answered before.

Tale: 
I've downloaded all the packages that are available in the 'latest'
directory to my computer. I've moved each *.tar.gz file to a
"tempInstall" directory on my local hardrive. I've copied the setup.exe
file to this "tempInstall" directory. When I run the setup application
choose the following options.
1) install from local directory
2) local package directory =G:\download\latest\tempInstall\
3) Select install root directory= F:/cygwin
4) Default text format= DOS
5) Install for =All
6) Select Packages to Install "Nothing to Install/Update"

Question:
Why are there no packages to install in this final list?  How can I fix
this?

_________________
Floyd Harriott, Programmer Analyst
Stellate Systems
Tel: +1 (514) 486-1306 ext. 104 Fax: +1 (514) 486-0694
www.stellate.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/