Subject: Re: initdb failure - postgres hangs with 100% CPU
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: "Clark C . Evans" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:46:39 -0400

[I apologize to the Cygwin and PostgreSQL communities for the following
rant.  I slept on this one before responding.  I guess that sleeping on
it didn't really help.]

Clark,

Just curious... But, don't you have anything better to do than
send provocative, unsolicited email?  If you have something to say
(constructive or otherwise), then use the appropriate mailing instead
of sending private mail.

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 05:07:58PM -0400, Clark C . Evans wrote:
> | Did you read installation steps 1 - 3 in the Cygwin PostgreSQL README?
> |    /usr/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.1.2.README
> 
> If it doesn't run out of the box, why have it
> in cygwin base distribution?  just curious...

Why?  Because I'm extremely selfish -- plain and simple.  The sole
reason that I contributed Python and PostgreSQL to Cygwin was just to
stem the tide of unsolicited emails requesting help to apply my patches,
set up a Cygwin development environment, build the packages, etc.

It never crossed my mind that:

    o I should give back to the open source community instead of just
      taking.
    o Cygwin users would actually find it useful and convenient to have
      pre-built Python and PostgreSQL packages available.
    o I should spend more time with my children or sleep instead of
      spending a significant fraction of my free time devising patches,
      submitting patches, pleading Cygwin's case, resubmitting revised
      patches, etc.

If the Cygwin PostgreSQL distribution does not meet your needs, then
just instruct Cygwin's setup.exe to skip installing it.

> if you include postgresql, shouldn't cygipc be
> included as well?

I have already suggested the above.  Due to valid licensing and technical
issues, it was decided not to add cygipc to the Cygwin distribution.
Search the archives, if you are just curious about the details.

I responded to another one of your just curious emails:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2001-April/039337.html

with diligence that ended up consuming a lot of Tim Peters, DJ Delorie,
and my time.  I will not be extending you that courtesy again.

Jason

-- 
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   732.264.8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: [email-masked]
Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/