Subject: Re: Install and Uninstall Scripts
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: "Michael A. Chase" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: 10 Jul 2001 11:17:00 +0200

"Michael A. Chase" <[email-masked]> writes:

> For uninstalls, I think it would probably work better if we agreed on a
> naming convention for a script or batch file that would be executed before
> any packages are deleted.

Yes, I thought about that too.  Or actually, to have the script
executed before the specific package is deleted.

I'm afraid that to solve this problem entirely, we would need
preremove *and* postremove; and maybe something like Debian's purge.

But as long as setup.exe does it's own package management, this is
probably overkill; and I'd rather make a big improvement with a simple
patch, than try to go all the way.

The problem I wanted to solve (most) was for a package not to leave
anything behind after uninstall.  That's why I would vote for
postremove rather than preremove, and have it act like purge.  Maybe
it would be acceptable for a package like ssh not to purge the host
keys, but to delegate those things to /etc/postremove/cygwin.sh

> Maybe something like /etc/preuninstall/package-version.{sh,bat}.

Ok, my patch has something like /etc/postremove/package.{sh ? sh : bat}
that would be ok then?

Jan.

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/