Subject: Resource Error on Make Execution
From: Sid Ray-Chaudhuri <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 16:42:39 -0700 (PDT)

We have a distributed build architecture that uses the recursive feature of GNU
make. Generally, we do not have many problems running the build by issuing the
make command on our makefile. However, the following is an error that we do get
sometimes when we run the make command on our Windows NT 4.0 host - especially
when running the command from a DOS-style batch file.

The Cygwin DLL version in use is 1.3.2 (epoch 19), as gathered by running the cgcheck command.

------------------------------Begin error message------------------------------

Making target ../foo/lib/foo.lib in ../foo ...
0 [main] sh 373 sync_with_child: child 375(0x10C) died before initialization with status code 0x80
478 [main] sh 373 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
Cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
C:\Utils\Cygwin\bin\make.exe: *** could not load advapi32, Win32 error 1114
      0 [main] make 334 sync_with_child: WaitForMultipleObjects timed out
make[1]: ../stddefs/maksetup.mak:233: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
make[1]: ../stddefs/maksetup.mak:237: fork: Permission denied
make[1]: ../stddefs/maksetup.mak:290: fork: Permission denied
make[1]: ../stddefs/maksetup.mak:296: fork: Permission denied
../build/shareall.gmk:102: ../stddefs/armtools.gmk: Permission denied
foo.smk:451: ../stddefs/makrules.gmk: Permission denied
      0 [sig] make 243 getsem: can't open cygwin1S3.sigcatch.358, Win32 error 18
16
    838 [sig] make 243 wait_sig: WFMO failed, Win32 error 6
59995729 [main] make 243 sig_send: wait for sig_complete event failed, signal -2
, rc 258, Win32 error 0
make[1]: ../stddefs/maksetup.mak:86: fork: Permission denied
make[1]: ../stddefs/maksetup.mak:233: fork: Permission denied
make[1]: ../stddefs/maksetup.mak:237: pipe: Permission denied
make[1]: ../stddefs/maksetup.mak:290: pipe: Permission denied
make[1]: ../stddefs/maksetup.mak:296: pipe: Permission denied
../build/shareall.gmk:102: ../stddefs/armtools.gmk: Permission denied
foo.smk:451: ../stddefs/makrules.gmk: Permission denied
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `laf'.  Stop.
make: *** [../foo/lib/foo.lib] Error 2

C:\ASW\surf.00.00.05\build>C:\Utils\Cygwin\bin\echo.exe: *** could not load advapi32, Win32 error 1114

-------------------------------End error message-------------------------------

In the above, make is trying to change directory to ../foo/lib to build the
target foo.lib using the makefile foo.smk therein. There are a few core makefiles
in the ../stddefs directory, e.g., maksetup.mak, makrules.mak, which are included
by the makefile to get some pre-defined macros, common target pattern-rules, etc.
All these directories and files are readable and writable by the user running the
build, as was evidenced by the fact that the error disappeared when the user ran
the make command exactly the same way from the DOS prompt.

Could you please look into this and let me know what is wrong. If you need more
information, please feel free to contact me at your convenience. Thanks so much
for your kind help.

Regards,
Sid R.C.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/