Subject: Re: setup.exe 2.78.2.3 bug!
From: "Michael A. Chase" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, "John Daniel Doucette" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 14:43:10 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Daniel Doucette" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 12:42
Subject: setup.exe 2.78.2.3 bug!

> I recently downloaded setup.exe 2.78.2.3 and used it.  If you choose
> "Download from Internet" and select a Local Package Directory, the "Select
> Packages to Download" screen compares the package versions on the FTP site
> with the INSTALLED versions of the packages instead of any packages
already
> present in the "Local Package Directory" (These two sets are not
> necessarily the same!).  Under the "Current" column, it displays the
> versions of the installed packages too, instead of the packages in the
> "Local Package Directory".  If your installed cygwin is an earlier version
> (i.e. you didn't get approval from the boss to upgrade but wanted to keep
> the most current set of packages on your machine), and your "Local Package
> Directory" contains all of the most recent packages as yet not installed,
> the "Select Packages to Download" screen will inform you that you have
> umpteen packages out of date when in fact you may only have one or two out
> of date.  You can only find out which packages are actually newer than the
> ones in the "Local Package Directory" by selecting "download" and checking
> the log file afterwards.

This is the currently expected behavior since setup.exe's focus is to
install packages in the Cygwin environment, but I see your point.  It would
be nice when just downloading files to have some indication if the files are
already present.  I'll keep it in mind the next time I'm offering a patch to
setup.exe.  (I am _NOT_ the primary developer of setup.exe, just an
occasional contributor.)

If you can figure out how to do it, feel free to submit a patch to
[email-masked].  The source is available in CVS
subdirectory winsup/cinstall.  See the "Contributing" link at
http://cygwin.com/ .

--
Mac :})
** I normally forward private questions to the appropriate mail list. **
Give a hobbit a fish and he eats fish for a day.
Give a hobbit a ring and he eats fish for an age.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/