Subject: Re: Zsh observations
From: Michael Schaap <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 00:49:22 +0200

At 22:22 4-7-2001, [email-masked] wrote:
>2. That's funky. I couldn't reproduce it when trying it with two .bat files,
>but as you said, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. So there may be 
>some
>piece of the puzzle I'm missing to be able to reproduce this.

It was mostly irritating because I had Apple WebObjects directories back in 
my path somewhere, which contain their version of many Gnu-style command 
line utilities.
I have now tuned my PATH to be smaller - just what I need instead of adding 
stuff to the existing PATH - and that makes the problem mostly go away.

>3. You get command-line completion OOTB.  What does the compinit function give
>you (I've never used that one before)?

"Smart" directory name completion.  For instance. "cd <TAB>" will only 
complete directory names, and much fancier things.  (Check out 
/usr/local/share/zsh/4.02/functions/_*)

>The main things I love about zsh are the right-side prompt and auto-pushd so
>that I can do cd -5 to goto the 5th-to-last directory I was in.  Also the
>mid-word completion (i.e. /usr/l<tab>l/bin --> /usr/local/bin) is really cool.

Yeah, there are lots of nice "power user" features in zsh.  :-)
I also like the spelling checking (I type stuff like "ks" all the 
time.  :-) ), vared, the many many setopt options, and so on.

>Anyway, I hope you find your way back to zsh.  Incidentally, I use v4.0.2.  If
>you're having problems with an older version, try upgrading.

For the time being, I've got shortcuts to both bash and zsh on my desktop, 
I'll probably try zsh some more.
Perhaps when zsh is in the official Cygwin distribution, things will 
stabilize a bit.

  - Michael

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/