Subject: login: no shell: /bin/bash: No such file or directory
From: "Carlson, Steve (SPD)" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Carlson, Steve (SPD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:17:19 -0500

I'm running inetutils-1.3.2-14 and login-1.4.2. inetd, telnet and FTP were
working fine until I upgraded from Windows NT4 to Windows 2000, then, with
ostensibly the same setup and configuration, attempting to telnet to the
machine results in the following error:

login: no shell: /bin/bash: No such file or directory
Connection closed by foreign host.

I don't seem to have any problems running the shell locally but have no luck
when trying to telnet. I think I've tried all of the obvious stuff, like
ensuring the CYGWIN env variable is set to ntsec, and I even played around
with the shell designation in /etc/passwd but to no avail. The security
permissions on the executable seem alright, but I'm new to Win 2K, so I
haven't become acclimated to "Bill's" new way of doing things.

It must be something simple, but obviously I'm missing it. I hope someone
can help.

TIA,
 -Ste.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/