Subject: Re: CRON and time
From: "Ehud Karni" <[email-masked]>
To: "Trikkaliotis Niklos" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:42:33 +0300

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:03:46 +0200, Trikkaliotis Niklos <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 1) Why the time between windows and cygwin is diferent ???
> My windows clock say 09:01 and cygwin say 07:01

The simple solution is to set the TZ env variable like this -
export TZ=EST-1EDT
The EST-1 means European Standard time 1 hour before UTC (aka GMT).
The EDT means that standard (1/4-1/10) daylight saving time is applied.

For more exotic places (like Israel) where the "daylight saving time"
dates are changed from year to year, this simple solution won't work.
These places need a special timezone file. The file place is:
/usr/local/etc/zoneinfo/localtime this file is produced by the zic
program. The input file format is described in the zic man page.

The above information is contained in tzset(3) and tzfile(5) man pages.
Regretfully, the zic program was not ported to Cygwin and the above man
pages are not in the distribution, and the localtime(3) man page that
is included with Cygwin has MUCH less information then the Linux
localtime(3) man page.

I have the zic source and I'll try porting it.

I also think that the Cygwin distribution should include the above
mentioned man pages (copied as is from the Linux distribution).

> 2) I have install and starting cron as service, i have a crontab file, ex:
> 	0 9 * * * touch /tmp/FileFromCron
> but the command is never running !!!

You need to run the the cron daemon. See /usr/doc/Cygwin/cron.README by
Corrina (this readme is Cygwin addition to the /usr/doc/cron/README).

Ehud.

-- 
 Ehud Karni     Mivtach - Simon  Insurance   /"\
 Tel: +972-3-6212-757 Fax: +972-3-6292-544   \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 (USA) Fax and  voice  mail: 1-815-5509341    X   Against  HTML  Mail
     Better     Safe     Than     Sorry      / \
     mailto:[email-masked]    http://www.simonwiesel.co.il

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/