Subject: RE: I found where to download NT Resource Kit
From: "Paul K Gleske" <[email-masked]>
To: "Clark Sims" <[email-masked]>, "Charles S. Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 16:47:03 -0400

> What does groks mean?

Grok.  http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=grok

grok (grk)
tr.v. Slang grok·ked, grok·king, groks
To understand profoundly through intuition or empathy.

[Coined by Robert A. Heinlein in his Stranger in a Strange Land.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth
Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
-----------------
grok

/grok/, /grohk/ (From the novel "Stranger in a Strange Land", by Robert A.
Heinlein, where it is a Martian word meaning literally "to drink" and
metaphorically "to be one with")

1. To understand, usually in a global sense. Connotes intimate and
exhaustive knowledge.

Contrast zen, which is similar supernal understanding experienced as a
single brief flash. See also glark.

2. Used of programs, may connote merely sufficient understanding. "Almost
all C compilers grok the "void" type these days."

[Jargon File]

(1995-01-31)

Source: The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, © 1993-2001 Denis Howe
-----------------

I thought all programmers needed to know this.  Especially any Unix geeks.

-pkg

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/