Subject: Re: point to FAQs [WAS: Re: getopts....]
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin Users <[email-masked]>
Cc: David Starks-Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 11:43:47 -0400

At 11:31 AM 6/5/2001, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:
> > 
> > No, I don't think so.  I really haven't seen this asked frequently and
> > I also feel uncomfortable with the idea that the Cygwin FAQ provide
> > answers that more appropriately belong in other packages' FAQs.  It would
> > be nice if the Cygwin FAQ could provide "one-stop shopping" for every
> > issue but then I think it would become so difficult to navigate and use
> > that it would defeat its purpose.  People wanting to know what the
> > possibilities are for building ash with this option or gcc with that
> > should really look to the sites and lists that support those packages.
> > In particular, this query and response may be a good addition to the ash
> > site/FAQ.  I do think it would be worthwhile and appropriate for the
> > Cygwin FAQ to point to FAQs of packages it contains though.
> > 
>
>This sounds nice but outdates quickly.  A better approach would be to
>add pointers to package FAQs in the documentation for that package. 
>Then it wouldn't be up to David to keep abreast of when a pointer
>changes.  It would be spread amongst the many (HA!:) ported package
>maintainers.

Good point.  That's the goal I had in mind.

Thanks for the clarification.

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple