Subject: Re: rlogin without passwd prompt from cygwin
From: "Ehud Karni" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 18:53:02 +0300

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 15:44:25 +0200, Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 11:35:35AM -0000, piotr cygwin wrote:
> > Hello,
> > 
> > I still can't bypass the passwd prompt when trying to rlogin from cygwin to 
> > another machine.
> > 
> > Here is my user entry in /etc/passwd on cygwin:
 
Please send the output of `id' instead.

> > Here are the entries I have added in the rhosts file of the remote machine. 
> be sure the permissions of the remote $HOME/.rhosts file are 0600.

NOTE the name and permission !

The ~/.rhosts" format is: <machine> <user> (e.g. ibmpor47 PHUGONNET)
The <machine> is the name of the machine in the REMOTE machine hosts or
a DNS resolved name (on the REMOTE machine !). The user name is the name
on the LOCAL machine (upper case letters in your case).

The command is: rlogin <remote-machine> [-l <remote-user>]
You can omit the "-l <remote-user>" if it is EXACTLY the same as the
local user name.

> And care for the case of the name. The name is evaluated case sensitive
> so if it's all lower case on the remote machine, ...

Different case is different name, use the "-l <user-name>".

I checked rlogin (form 2001-01-19, inetutils 1.3.2-14) using cygwin1.dll
1.3.2.  The rlogin worked (I checked the commands on the remote machine)
but NO output was seen on the local machine. I reverted the cygwin1.dll
to 1.3.1 (from 2001-04-25) the same rlogin WORKED fine.
The CYGWIN env variable is not defined (empty).
I checked it on W95 (no other machine handy right now).

Ehud.

-- 
 Ehud Karni     Mivtach - Simon  Insurance   /"\
 Tel: +972-3-6212-757 Fax: +972-3-6292-544   \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 (USA) Fax and  voice  mail: 1-815-5509341    X   Against  HTML  Mail
     Better     Safe     Than     Sorry      / \
     mailto:[email-masked]    http://www.simonwiesel.co.il

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple