Subject: Re: cygrunsrv fails to start
From: "Karl M" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 12:56:54 -0700

Hi All...

>From: Fred Yankowski <[email-masked]>
>To: Karl M <[email-masked]>
>CC: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: cygrunsrv fails to start
>Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:23:24 -0500
>
>You've done a good job chasing down the problem so far, and I
>sympathize with the hassle involved in tests that require restarting
>NT over and over.
>
>I would suggest adding some trace statements that write to a file
>rather than depending on the syslog facility.  I would put one right
>after the entry to main() to see if the process is even entered.  Be
>sure to flush() the trace output after each message in case the
>process aborts and loses buffered output.  I would put another trace
>message at the point where StartServiceCtrlDispatcherA() fails in
>main().  Then I'd put another right after the entry to service_main().

I put a fopen, fputs and fflush at the top of service_main before anything 
else happens. The times when cygrunsrv starts up, everything works and I get 
my output. The times when it does not start, I get nothing (no file creater 
and no output).

I also completely removed cygwin and reinstalled everything with setup 2.57. 
No change: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I wasn't expecting this 
to make a difference.

>It looks like failure of StartServiceCtrlDispatcherA() would not be
>reported currently, given that error() writes to stderr and that
>stream is useless in this case.  However, it's hard to see how that
>API could fail in some cases and not others.
>
>Your questions about possible problems in loading the cygwin1.dll
>occurred to me too, but I don't know anywhere near enough about Cygwin
>to suggest how to explore that possibility.
>
>--
>Fred Yankowski           [email-masked]      tel: +1.630.879.1312
>Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370
>OntoSys, Inc             38W242 Deerpath Rd, Batavia, IL 60510, USA

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple