Subject: Re: cygrunsrv fails to start
From: "Karl M" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 16:57:34 -0700

Hi All...

>From: Fred Yankowski <[email-masked]>
>To: Karl M <[email-masked]>
>CC: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: cygrunsrv fails to start
>Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:23:24 -0500
>
>I would suggest adding some trace statements that write to a file
>rather than depending on the syslog facility.  I would put one right
>after the entry to main() to see if the process is even entered.  Be
>sure to flush() the trace output after each message in case the
>process aborts and loses buffered output.  I would put another trace
>message at the point where StartServiceCtrlDispatcherA() fails in
>main().  Then I'd put another right after the entry to service_main().

Can you give me something real specific here (an example of the file open, 
write and flush)? If you give me a starting point, I can adapt.

>It looks like failure of StartServiceCtrlDispatcherA() would not be
>reported currently, given that error() writes to stderr and that
>stream is useless in this case.  However, it's hard to see how that
>API could fail in some cases and not others.

We could at least print out a pass/fail indication if it ever returns and 
print the error code.

>Your questions about possible problems in loading the cygwin1.dll
>occurred to me too, but I don't know anywhere near enough about Cygwin
>to suggest how to explore that possibility.

Anyone else have ideas?

Thanks,

...Karl

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple