Subject: Re: clipboard enhancement request-for-discussion
From: Dario Alcocer <[email-masked]>
To: "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 06:58:45 -0700

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Collins <[email-masked]> writes:

    Robert> I'm finding more and more often, that being able to
    Robert> redirect things to /dev/clipboard isn't quite enough.

    Robert> <-- snip -->

    Robert> create a new device /dev/clipfile which when written to
    Robert> places a "file" (specifically a CFSTR_FILEDESCRIPTOR
    Robert> format object) on the clipboard, consisting of the
    Robert> contents written to /dev/clipfile.

    Robert> The upshot of that is that

    Robert> ---
    Robert> cvs diff -up foo > /dev/clipfile
    Robert> [switch to some application that understands file copy and
    Robert> paste - ie outlook]
    Robert> shift-insert
    Robert> ---

Robert,

I wonder: could be accomplished without having to add another device
in Cygwin?  Could a separate program, say, 'fmtclip', format or
process the input data such that it's in the right format for the
clipboard?

The usage would be a little different than you proposed:

    cvs diff -up foo | fmtclip --file-descriptor > /dev/clipboard

Regardless of the final syntax that is used, your idea sounds like a
good idea.

-- 
Dario Alcocer -- Sr. Software Developer, Helix Digital Inc.
[email-masked] -- http://www.helixdigital.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple