Subject: [RFC] cygwin.[org|net] domain for Cygwin SourceForge
From: Stipe Tolj <[email-masked]>
To: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 02:00:13 +0200

Hi Christopher,

hope you remember my name as a mailing list contributor and maintainer
of the "Cygwin Porting Project".

As I stated a couple of times we are about to re-launch the "Cygwin
Porting Project" and it seems that we will setup a dedicated machine as
"Cygwin SourceForge Server" which should be a central repository for all
available Cygwin ports and the corresponding projects of the porters.

Main aim of the Cygwin SourceForge Project should be:
It should serve as a information repository for all new Cygwin users and
those who check to see if there are updates and new announcements on
certain packages. What is intended is to reduce those anoing questions
on the Cygwin mailing lists like "Has anyone ported foo or bar to
Cygwin?!". Porters like Earnie, Mumit or Corinna (only to name few) can
collaborate with other participating users more effective if there is a
unique interface to the development tasks, mailing lists etc. as it's
offered by SourceForge.

I checked which Cygwin specific domains are available within the .org
TLD to use for that project and I see you are mentioned as admin-c for
all three SLDs cygwin.com, cygwin.net, cygwin.org.

What would be the chance to use cygwin.org or cygwin.net for such a
Cygwin SourceForge Server we would set up?

Here is what we can offer for the project:

- Sun E250 (2 CPUs, 512 MB RAM) or higher scaled LVS (Linux Virtual
Server) cluster as base machine. Maybe splitting into several machines
for the MySQL DB engine and the Apache HTTP server if required for
load-balancing purposes.
- Configuration of Apache, PHP, MySQL and all the stuff that is required
by SourceForge.
- The main intention will be to get a WinNT or Win2k machine running
with the same setup to serve the Cygwin SourceForge Project, which would
be a proof of concept for the whole Cygwin POSIX layer.
- IP connecticity and traffic for either 2 Mbit/sec line located at
Wapme in Duesseldorf, DE or 2.4 GBit/sec line located at UUNET HQ in
Dortmund, DE.

I will start to set-up a reference implementation on a Cygwin 1.x box
runing WinNT4sp6 with the latest SourceForge 2.5 source to see how far I
will get on the Cygwin side.

Best regards,

Stipe Tolj
Department Management
Technology Center & Research Lab

[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Wapme Systems AG

Münsterstr. 248
40470 Düsseldorf

Tel: +49-211-74845-0
Fax: +49-211-74845-299

E-Mail: [email-masked]
Internet: http://www.wapme-systems.de
-------------------------------------------------------------------
wapme.net - wherever you are

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple