Subject: RE: Serious brokeness of treating .lnk files as symlinks
From: "Peter Fox" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Andrej Borsenkow'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 08:17:24 +0100

From: Andrej Borsenkow [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: 26 May 2001 09:39

  >
  > Desktop/Bash2.lnk -> %USERPROFILE%\bash.bat
  >
  > cygwin doesn't understand this, and so complains the file doesn't
  > exist

  > This problem should be cured by the O_LNKISFILE flag as well.
  >

  Not that I understand. That problem has nothing to do with
  any flag. I did
  not know that it is supported by Windows, but if it is, Cygwin should
  support it as well by default. IIRC it was stressed that new
  symlinks are
  compatible with Windows shortcuts.

  -andrej

What I meant by the problem being cured was that cp -d would copy the link
without interpretation, therefore would not notice that the link was 'broken'.
I was not thinking cygwin should interpret the environment variable, as that
gets complicated when copying/displaying (if cygwin interprets it, then you
will never see that the .lnk contains an environment variable, if cygwin
doesn't interpret it then special handling will be required. Or would open()
interpret/follow it, but readlink() not ?).

Similarly, I would like to see tar support for O_LNKSIFILE so that it could be
used to backup and restore a windows directory tree correctly, rather that
'understand' .lnk files so that the archive could be transferred to a unix
system. (--native flag when making the archive ?)

Peter.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple