Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on Cygwin on Win98
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: "David A. Cobb" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 09:08:09 -0400

David,

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 02:47:32PM -0400, David A. Cobb wrote:
> The PostgreSQL documentation says the server portion doesn't work on 
> Win98.

Just curious, but what part of the documentation states that the server
doesn't work on Windows 98?  I have seen documentation that PostgreSQL
runs on Windows NT and 2000, but I have yet to find something specifically
pertaining to Windows 9X/Me.

> I run
> Cygwin on Win98 -- does that provide the needed threading support to run 
> the server?

I don't believe that threading is relevant since PostgreSQL does not
use threads -- PostgreSQL uses the traditional UNIX dispatcher (fork/exec
child worker) model.

Nevertheless, PostgreSQL does work under Windows 98 with some caveats.
See the follow for some of them:

    http://www.ca.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-cygwin/2001-05/msg00065.html

I casually ran PostgreSQL under Windows 98 last fall during the 7.0.2
time frame just for academic interest.  The general consensus seems to
indicate that although PostgreSQL runs under Windows 98, it should only
be used for development or as a way to learn PostgreSQL.  IMO, one should
only deploy under Windows NT or 2000.

Even some of the core PostgreSQL development team didn't seem to realize
that PostgreSQL runs under Windows 98 until recently:

    http://www.ca.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-ports/2001-02/msg00010.html

Jason

-- 
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   732.264.8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: [email-masked]
Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple