Subject: Re: About Cygwin 1.0
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 12:35:18 -0400

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 07:25:00PM +0300, Vesa Pekka Paatero wrote:
>Thank you for the free Cygwin software. One thing I'd like to talk about:
>I was surprised to find no information on your pages (especially FAQ)
>about the reasons why you have not released the stable Cygwin 1.0
>via the net.
>  Is it that you want people to use the unstable versions in order
>to hasten the development of future versions (by their bug reports)?
>In the spirit of the Gnu Public Licence, that would seem immoral to me.
>If the public develops the software (under GPL) with their contributions,
>they should also be allowed to enjoy the fruits (and not be constrained to
>keep toiling with bugs when a stable version exists).
>  So please, let me know the true reasons why Cygwin 1.0 is not
>distributed on the net.

The reason is simple.  We're heartless bastards.

>  If people could more readily use stable versions in their developments,
>perhaps Cygwin's reputation would improve (as it pertains to reliability).

Bwa, hah, hah.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple