Subject: Re: what makes a cygwin app?
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Jerry Asher <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 16:27:56 -0400

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 01:15:44PM -0700, Jerry Asher wrote:
>Hi Christopher,
>
>>I do not plan on adding the facility for downloading non-cygwin applications
>>in the Cygwin setup
>
>So what makes a cygwin app?

Obviously a random Windows application, like JDE, (I assume that you're
referring to this thread) is not a Cygwin application and does not
belong in the Cygwin distribution regardless of whether they fill some
kind of niche in the application offered by setup.exe.

If the application is not linked with the Cygwin DLL, it is not a
candidate for inclusion of the net release of Cygwin.  It's a simple
rule.

>A few days ago, when I came across the new cygwin, I was told that the
>dll was cygwin and everything else was user contribution....  Not so?

Everything in the net release is user contribution so this isn't a very
precise distinction.  Cygwin is two things, the DLL and the
distribution.  The DLL is cygwin1.dll.  The disribution is a collection
of programs that use the DLL.

>I would love to see an RPM like facility for cygwin or related
>projects, but I am certain that you have your own
>ideas/thoughts/resource constraints....

Yes, and in fact it has been debated many many many times.  As you
probably can guess, it is very unlikely that someone will be sending me
any new ideas for this project.  We're not short on ideas on how to
improve things.  We're short on people to do the work.

Btw, I've redirected this discussion back to the cygwin mailing list.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple