Subject: Re: Suiqd as service [was: Re: New on sources: cygrunsrv-0.92]
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 19:06:40 +0200

Corinna Vinschen schrieb am 2001-05-17, 14:41:

> On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 09:23:43PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> > From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
> > >  Win32 Process Id = 0x220 : Cygwin Process Id = 0x220 :
> > >  starting service `Cygwin squid' failed: execv: 1, Not owner.
> > >
> > these messages are cygrun messages. AFAICT Squid was never started.
> > 
> > > Ooops, s.th. with permissions...
> > >
> > > I don't understand this.
> > >
> > > Why am I 'not owner', cron, inetd, cygipc, all are running as
> > services,
> > > no problems at all.
> > > What am i not owner of?
> > 
> > I'd check the owner and mode of squid.exe.
> > Rob
> 
> I can't think of another reason. In the context of `execv', EPERM
> (aka "Not owner") is only returned if the executable can't be opened.
> For example, you start the service under user account foo but
> squid.exe is owned by `gerrit' with 700 permissions.

Well, i got it managed. But i remember i have read that it defaults
to user/group system. So if the file is owned by administrator (500)
and group Adminstrators (544) it is world readable/writable, why isn't
the system not able to execute it?
It works with cron which has same permissions.

I thought it would be a good idea, to set all files and directories
which are used by squid (/usr/cache, /usr/etc/squid and so on) to 
be owned/group system/system so there should be no problem for the
system to access them. Thats it (with squid), but it works not with 
Apache. 

There is NO error message in sys/event log.
Only two messages:

1:
Cygwin Apache : Win32 Process Id = 0xFE : Cygwin Process Id = 0xFE :
 `Cygwin Apache' service started.

2:
Cygwin Apache : Win32 Process Id = 0xFE : Cygwin Process Id = 0xFE :
 `Cygwin Apache' service stopped.

No error...

However, httpd is running.

You also wrote, it couldn't be killed, if a daemon forks and the parent
dies, but that is not absolutely correct. Cygrunsrv is listed as a task
and cygrunsrv could be killed, so the process it invokes dies, too.

so long,

gph

-- 
=^..^=

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple