Subject: Re: Troubles setting NT environment variables
From: "Mark Hadfield" <[email-masked]>
To: "Anderson, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Cygwin Mailing List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 12:08:22 +1200

> Cygwin is not seeing my newly created NT environment variables.
>
> I have a Perl script that calls a DOS executable (vsim) from the BASH
shell.
> The NT environment variable I created is not being seen by BASH or DOS
using
> Cygwin. I created the Variable using the User Environment Variable editor
> under the Advanced tab of the System Properties.

In my several years of experience with Cygwin on NT & 200, I have found that
the system Properties applet does make changes to the Windows environment
immediately (provided you do remember to press the right buttons--it's easy
not to do this on NT, better on 2000), and any Windows application (like
bash) that is started after this will inherit the new environment.
Furthermore, I'm pretty sure you don't need to reload cygwin1.dll to pick up
changes in the environment.

Is vsim really a DOS executable, as opposed to a Windows console
application? True DOS executables follow different rules. IIRC, they are
launched by NTVDM. To see the new environment you may need to reload NTVDM,
which in effect may mean restarting Windows.

---
Mark Hadfield
[email-masked]  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple